Today I’m running, well, walking through a list of thankfulness. It’s Thursday Thankfulness, even though it’s almost Friday (yay!).
- Summer’s here! My boys are officially out of school. Ten weeks of no alarms, no PB & J sandwiches made at 11pm on weeknights, no rush to wash uniforms, and no set schedules. It was a good year in some way; a very difficult year in other ways. But God was good through it all.
- Finishing my first book proposal. It was an in-depth, detailed project, a college literature paper on steroids. Because a book proposal is like a job application, and I’m SO glad it’s finished, and excited to see the next curve in the writing road. This leads me into my next thankful item…
- Critique partners. Three years ago, even two years ago, I was like meh. I’m doing okay, chugging along with my writing. Do I really need a critique partner (or two, or three?) Then God intersected my path with two writers with whom I finaled/semi-finaled in a contest in 2015, and pieces I didn’t know were missing clicked into place. Talk about oh, snap. :) Encouragement and camaraderie galore, and now I wish they lived closer so I could hug them for all their wonderfulness (and I’m really not that huggy). They’re a blessing on this journey-to-publication, and I pray I’m a help to them, too.
- I’m thankful for gummy bears. Yes, those. Squishy, chewy, fruity little bears. I’ve been on a kick lately. Haribo is the best, FYI & IMO.
- I’m thankful for new beginnings. Each new day, we start fresh, thanks to God’s mercy. “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul. ‘Therefore I hope in Him!'” (Lam. 3:22-24).
- For new cars. After nearly eleven years and saving for a long while, my husband purchased a new vehicle. It’s pretty fancy and shiny and it flies…okay, it doesn’t fly. But it IS fancy and shiny and I’m so happy for him and grateful for how hard he works and how well he takes care of us. *Done husband gushing now*
- This one is weird. Are you ready? Hear me out. I’m thankful for a memorial service I attended recently. Not, of course, for my dear friend’s loss (though she and her family are grateful their loved one is no longer sick and now stands, healthy, in the presence of the Lord). But I’m thankful for the joyful reminder of grace and hope through Jesus Christ. In the face of death and loss and suffering, we have HOPE. “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)
- For praying friends. For friends to pray with, whether it’s about family, illness, finances, the future, writing, or just peace for the anxious moment. Words fail at my gratefulness for prayer, at the reminder of how very much we need each other, and how very wise our God is to give us each other.
- I’m grateful for you. Don’t forget you are loved and treasured by a God who hand-made you.
Can you think of a few things to give thanks for this Thursday, almost Friday? I hope you have a fun almost-summer weekend!